In 1901, Missoula residents Frank Smith and D. Harold Peat purchased the first car in Missoula. Peat went to Milwaukee to buy a car called the Milwaukee Steamer. The Steamer cost $1,000 and was shipped to Missoula by train. The men rented the car to Missoula residents for $5 an hour. In 1915, Harry O. Bell opened one of the first automobile dealerships in Missoula.