Horse and Buggy
Missoula had several early stage lines linking the growing city to the small towns that surrounded it. There were numerous carriage and wagon shops in the city that did everything from building brand new buggies to basic wagon wheel repair. Andrew Logan of New York worked for several years as the Fort Missoula blacksmith before opening up his own shop, the City Carriage and Wagon Shop, on Front Street in 1897. A few blocks away, at 221 West Cedar Street, John Doll operated a carriage and wagon repair shop. Doll, originally from Germany, came to the United States in 1882. He spent four years training as a blacksmith in Minnesota before moving to Missoula. Besides horse-drawn buggies, Missoulians used smaller people-powered buggies to cart young children and babies around town.